September 27, 2009

Reads: The Amulet of Samarkand



Rating: 4.89 out of 5
This is another book I think very highly of, and I never hesitate to recommend it to anyone (unless they're a soulless type without a sense of humor or love of fantasy). The cover on the left is the kind of cover style featured on the trilogy that I own. I also own a hardcover with the cover version the right (which I greatly prefer, so pretty and subtle!) but I believe they stopped making nice covers with the other two in the series... unless I've just been internet-disabled and can't find them. Not that the one on the left isn't nice. It's very.... nice. It's fine! Oh god, new topic.

These books are funny, clever, with a good plot and likable but different characters and a setting that is unlike anything else I've run across. There are tons of little historical references that Stroud ties in with the magical context (which I love) and a great deal of footnotes because one of the main narrators has the ability to think on more than one level of consciousness at one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment